Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
> [...]
>  > fraction of a nanometer?  History demonstrates that the amount of
>  > energy required from an electrical switch has drastically
>  > decreased. Consider the FET, which on average has roughly 1E+12 ohms
>  > DC resistance. Sure, the FET has capacitance, but that in itself is
>  > stored energy. This is akin to how much energy is require to stop an
>  > object.  One might think it requires a lot pressure to stop the
>  > object. Consider a spinning wheel next to a table. On the table is a
>  > hollow metal tube welded to the table. To stop the spinning wheel
>  > one merely needs to slide a metal bar in the hollow tube extending
>  > out the other end of the hollow tube, which jams in the wheels
>  > spokes, which abruptly stops the spinning wheel. The only amount of
>  > energy required to stop the wheel merely depends how much energy was
>  > required to slide the metal bar to jam the spokes.
>  >
>  > On many occasions I've described a device that has far higher
>  > potential for "free energy" than the aforementioned example. The
>  > above is to provide a simple undeniable clear-cut example. Of course
>  > there will always be those who will deny anything that goes against
>  > their beliefs.  A more practical device that requires ***NO***
>  > energy such as from a switch would be my resistor and LED device.
>  > The thermal voltage noise from the resistor will generate thermal
>  > current in the LED. All LED's emit photos at any applied voltage. It
>  > just turns out the LED is exponentially more efficient above the
>  > forward voltage level. In such a device the LED would emit more
>  > photons when connected to a resistor of high resistance.
>
> I still have some problems with this one.
>
> First, an LED typically has a large forward drop (or at least they
> used to, I assume that hasn't changed in the last decade or so).  If
> there's any effect at all, most of it's going to get cut off due to
> that big drop.
>
> If rectifying noise is to work, I should think you'd want to use
> something (like a Schottky diode) with a very low forward drop.
>
> Second, nearly all your noise is very close to zero volts, and close
> to zero volts, diodes are close to linear.  They conduct as something
> like  I = I_s * (exp(x*v) - 1) where "x" is a constant I don't feel
> like writing out.  This is from a book but the general form is easy
> enough to verify in a lab (though tedious).  Very close to zero volts,
> this formula is very close to
>
>    I = I_s * x * v
>
> or, in other words, the diode is (nearly) linear at zero volts.  That
> suggests that it might leak really badly in an application where
> the signal strength is totally minute.
>
> These may just be practical concerns but it's not clear how to get
> past them.
>
> I don't know enough about LEDs to answer this additional question:  Can
> an LED operate "backwards", as a solar cell?  This may be a concern at

As you pointed out, LED's emit appreciable energy above forward voltage. Although according to real experiments and Spice sims the LED just does not suddenly go from emitting to not emitting photons. In fact, there's no magical level where an LED suddenly changes.

>  >
>  > Lets consider photovoltaic cells.  Even at room temperature in
>  > complete darkness (no solar) there are visible light photons
>  > striking the cell.  I calculate a 10 cm x 10 cm common solar cell
>  > would generate roughly 1E-30 volts.  Not much voltage, lol, but
>  > still something nonetheless.  The amount of radiated blackbody
>  > energy is small in the visible region.  Although the FIR region is
>  > another story.  Both sides of a thin sheet of 1m x 1m material
>  > radiates roughly 920 watts continuously in complete darkness at room
>  > temperature.  Technology is improving, thereby allowing photovoltaic
>  > cells to capture lower and lower frequencies. A Canadian university
>  > succeeded in creating a 1355 nm photovoltaic cell!  That's only
>  > 1/11th the wavelength away from the peak 15000 nm 920 watts/m^2
>  > blackbody 300 K radiation. BTW, blackbody radiation at 1355 nm is
>  > 2E+18 times greater than visible region of 600 nm. To calculate this
>  > I compared the radiation from 16667 to 16677 cm^-1, which is
>  > 3.907E-29 watts to 7380 to 7390 cm^-1, which is 7.499e-11 watts.
>  >
>  > University of Toronto in Canada achieves 1355 nm photovoltaic cell:
>  > http://nanotechweb.org/articles/news/4/1/7/1
>  >
>  > Eventually technology will reach the peak 15000 nm region where a
>  > thin double sided 1m x 1m sheet receives ~920 watts.  It's difficult
>  > for a person to believe they are surrounded by a source "free
>  > energy" because we don't see such energy with our eyes.
>
> This one still really bugs me.  I don't understand solar cells well
> enough to know if this could work, but it just seems /wrong/ to me
> that a cell at the same temperature as a blackbody could generate
> useful electricity from the blackbody's radiation!   (Even a solar
> cell made in Canada!)  :-)

The problem with typical visible light photovoltaic cells is there's hardly any black body radiation in the visible light spectrum. I calculated/guesstimated that such a cell would generate less than 1E-30 DC volts. On the other hand the university in Canada made a significant breakthrough in photovoltaic cells by allowing such cells efficiently absorb up to 1355 nm. Now that 1355 nm doesn't sound like much as compared to 600 nm visible light, but blackbody radiation at 1355 nm is 2E+18 times greater than at 600 nm visible light.

To give an idea just how much energy is available from blackbody radiation alone --> A two sided thin sheet of material at room temperature (300K) radiates ~920 watts, which is peak at around 15000 nm. It will be very interesting when technology increases from 1355 nm 15000 nm! :-) Last week I came across a forum posting about the Canadian breakthrough, but cannot find it for the life of me. There were physicists (or at least they sounded like physicists) saying things that absolutely shocked me. Statements to the effect, "we're almost to the point of collecting continuous ambient temperature radiation."

Nature's not that cruel, right? I'm mean, surely we could design a device to collect energy from a room full of bouncing basketballs. What about large molecules? What about typical air molecules? What about room temperature atoms vibrating at ~20 THz? What about vibrating electrons traveling ~1/200 c? Is there a sudden magical size where nature says, "No! These particles are off limits. You cannot have their energy!" I don't thinks so because of the simple fact that a capacitor is able to charge to a certain point due to thermal electrical noise.

IMHO the task is in trying to find a design that is able to capture enough ambient temperature energy without an appreciable loss. Some realistic possibilities would include an LED array consisting of a trillion LED & R units. Or perhaps improving photovoltaic cells to reach 15000 nm's. Those methods sound complex. Truly if this was my task alone then I would first begin by learning how to create a simple diode. I already know how to use a computer to operate a circuit through the parallel port or USB. Therefore, I would design a device that allowed the computer to create micro scale diodes and resistors. Initially this may sound to complex and expensive, but I would beg to disagree. I like the old saying, "Where there's a will there's a way."

Truthfully I see a clear method of extracting such ambient temperature by means of magnetic avalanches, but time will tell.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance