Harry Veeder wrote:

I interpret "heat after death" as evidence of a self-powered system,
i.e. a portion of the heat produced is being consumed by the system
to maintain the production of excess heat.

I do not think any power is consumed in heat after death, and I do not think that power is ever required to maintain production of excess heat. The input power of electrolysis is required to form the materials, or the NAE. Once the NAE is in place, electrolysis is no longer required.

I think heat after death occurs when the deuterium in the palladium gradually evolves and reaches the surface where the NAE lives.