To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:13 PM
Subject: [Vo]: Re: Ed Storm's confusion (was Re: [Vo]: Cold Fusion skeptic Dr.
Michael Shermer)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmund Storms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]: Re: Ed Storm's confusion (was Re: [Vo]: Cold Fusion skeptic
Dr. Michael Shermer)

Michel, electrolysis is a process. When I said palladium was electrolyzed, I'm saying that palladium was subjected to the process of electrolysis. This is a common usage that I don't think is important enough to debate.

Ed, this is not even open to debate. If it was a common usage among professional
electrochemists, which it isn't fortunately, then it would be a common mistake. Believe
the man who invented the terms rather than the first ignoramus who "electrolyzed
palladium" whoever that was:

"Many bodies are decomposed directly by the electric current, their elements being
set free; these I propose to call electrolytes ([Greek: elektron], and [Greek: lyo],
soluo. N. Electrolyte, V. Electrolyze). Water, therefore, is an electrolyte. [...] Then
for electro-chemically decomposed, I shall often use the term electrolyzed, derived in
the same way, and implying that the body spoken of is separated into its components under
the influence of electricity: it is analogous in its sense and sound to analyse, which is
derived in a similar manner."

Faraday, Michael, Experimental Researches in Electricity. Seventh Series,
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London (1776-1886), Volume
124, 01 Jan 1834, Page 77, reprinted in:

Faraday, Michael, Experimental Researches in Electricity, Volume 1, 1849,
freely accessible Gutenberg.org transcript
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14986/14986-h/14986-h.htm
Controversy solved?
--
Michel