Michel Jullian wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmund Storms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]: Re: Your ad hominem attack

The issue of importance on Michel's mind is whether the word electrolysis is being used correctly.

I must be inhabited by Faraday's ghost  ;-)

He and I agree that the word describes initiation of a chemical reaction by passage of current.

Yes but not any reaction, check the definition, a reaction of decomposition.
Decomposition of course is separation of a composed body into the elements it is
composed of, e.g. D2O -> D2 + 0.5 O2

No decomposition is not the only definition. Electroplating is also considered electrolysis.

Thus, H2O can be electrolyzed. In fact, palladium can also be electrolyzed because it is chemically changed by passing current trough it in an electrolytic cell, something Faraday did not know. The palladium reacts to form PdD and it dissolves in the solution.

Therefore it is not decomposed. Palladium cannot be decomposed BTW, as you know
it is an element, not a composed body.

Palladium is converted from a metal to an ion. D2O is converted from an ion to neutral elements. The issue is only the direction of the reaction.

Both reactions are consistent with chemical reactions being initiated by flowing current. Therefore, it is correct to say that palladium is being electrolyzed.

It would only be correct if it was decomposed into constituting elements, which even if
it was (it isn't because it can't as I said) would be of course a minor effect compared
to the main decomposition that takes place, that of D2O, which would make your
description about as accurate as "Dissolution of a mug" to describe an
experiment where you dissolve sugar in your coffee.

The problem with Michel's approach is that he is unwilling to see beyond the conventional and limited understanding of electrolysis while maintaining that only he is correct in how the word is used.

Not just me, me and all dictionaries and textbooks which say that electrolysis
is electrochemical decomposition.

I suggest the dictionaries are not up to date or at least not complete.

Does this put an end to the controversy?

I hope so.

Ed

Michel

Ed