Jed keeps harping on the low (2%?) solar conversion efficiency of growing
biomass, I'll
put my ~3.5 acres of irrigated farmland into Jatropha Curcas bushes, where land
all around it is selling for $.50 to $1.50
per square foot, up against his "41% efficient Solar Collector" anytime.

That is, If I can hire Jones Beene to do the harvesting and stompin/squeezing
for energy storage.  :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_crop#Yields_of_common_crops_associated_with_biodiesel_production

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatropha

http://www.jatrophaseeds.com/jatropha_curcas.htm

"Jatropha curcas grows almost anywhere, even on gravelly, sandy and saline
soils. It can thrive on the poorest stony soil. It can grow even in the
crevices of rocks. The leaves shed during the winter months form mulch around
the base of the plant. The organic matter from shed leaves enhance earth-worm
activity in the soil around the root-zone of the plants, which improves the
fertility of the soil. Climatically, Jatropha curcas is found in the tropics
and subtropics and likes heat, although it does well even in lower temperatures
and can withstand a light frost. Its water requirement is extremely low and it
can stand long periods of drought by shedding most of its leaves to reduce
transpiration loss. Jatropha curcas is also suitable for preventing soil
erosion and shifting of sand dunes. "

Fred