On May 5, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Jones Beene wrote:

Once upon a time ... it was believed that our sun was paired with a hypothetical companion star, 'Nemesis' which might orbit at a distance of a light year or so. Nemesis was introduced to explain an apparent periodicity in the occurrence of mass extinctions of around 65 million years. In the past 26 years of intense searching, Nemesis was never found - and it should be relatively easy to find if it were there. In the mean time, we have discovered dozens of planets orbiting stars at similar distances, for instance. This companion star, if it existed, would need to be much larger than any planet. ERGO, it is most likely that no such companion star exists.

Reference was recently made on Vo to the 'ecliptic,' which is the apparent path that the Sun traces out along the sky, and the imaginary disk of the ecliptic which is enclosed within the larger Milky Way disk. As it turns out the ecliptic may be the 'real nemesis,' responsible for past mass extinctions on earth.

The ecliptic plane is canted wrt the galactic plane, and the result is that the sun traces what is in effect a circumferential sine wave, such that it swings sequentially closer, and then furhter away from the the MW plane and the protection (from extremely strong comic rays) which is afforded within the galactic plane, but not when we swing outside pf it.

It appears you are confusing the ecliptic, which is the plane that includes the earth's orbit around the sun (and thus the apparent annual path of the sun against the stars), and the solar system's glactic orbit, i.e. the path of the sun about the galactic center.

The cycle of this swing is around 63 million years, which is a close fit with the cycle of mass extinctions.

The "fit" is not all that close, except statistically. See the data I present at:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/Nemesis.pdf

It seems to me the evidence is more for gravitation entanglement with a nemesis cloud.

There is an short article in 'Science News' two weeks ago:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20070421/fob3ref.asp

"Northern Exposure: The inhospitable side of the galaxy?" by Davide Castelvecchi

Executive Summary: Our solar system's periodic motion from one side of the galaxy to the other could expose life on Earth to massive amounts of cosmic rays and cause recurring, catastrophic mass extinctions.