Hi Bill,
[snip]
>On Sat, 12 May 2007, Robin van Spaandonk wrote:
>> Everything I've read on Tesla
>
>Please point out where Tesla gives all the details behind this diagram:
>
>   http://amasci.com/graphics/tes_radpat3.gif
>
>You won't find any.

I wasn't really looking for any.

>My speculations are based on the assumption that Tesla was very secretive
>during his Colorado Springs period, so we have to look for clues, rather
>than just assuming that Tesla put his key secrets in articles for
>competitors to take.
>

>> suggests that he achieved long distance energy
>> transmission by resonating the Earth.
>
>It's been tested and doesn't work.  Something is missing.

See below.
[snip]
>The missing pieces of the puzzle could be the large single-electrode tubes
>described in Colorado Springs Notes.  What was their purpose?  Why was
>Tesla trying to operate these "x-ray tubes" at extreme high power, while
>trying to use metal toroid shields to solve the problem of their
>destruction by glass perforation?  In hindsight there is a
>simple possibility: the tubes provided seeds in the form of relativistic
>electrons, and allowed the creation of sparks KMs long.  With such sparks
>to produce regions of conductive plasma it becomes possible to create an
>immensely tall "virtual antenna tower."   Without such a tower, Tesla
>coils don't emit much energy.
>  (If they did, the FCC would ban them!)

Nowadays they probably would, however the FCC didn't exist in his day.

>> Think of it as a one wire transmission
>> line, terminated by resonant cavities where the Earth itself is the
>> transmission
>> line.
>
>Go see my article http://amasci.com/tesla/tmistk.html

Precisely. Note also that the balls attached to the ends act as doorknob
capacitors, resulting in tuned tank circuits on both ends of the transmission
line. Energy is temporarily stored in these tank circuits before being shuttled
off back down the line during the next part of the cycle. Tesla also spoke of
keeping the leakage of the capacitors to a minimum. That doesn't really agree
well with your notion of creating huge discharges.

>> In short he used the ground as a conductor, so his energy transmission
>> was not wireless, it was a "wired" transmission, which explains why it
>> was reasonably efficient.
>>
>> The towers were simply large "doorknob" capacitors which provided the
>> capacitance in the tank circuit on the transmitting end. They had to be on
>> towers because the voltage was so high, and he wanted to avoid a short to
>> ground
>> (around the generator that stood on the transmitting end between the resonant
>> cavity and the ground connection into which the power was fed).
>
>Hobbyists have built tens of large TCs (perhaps hundreds), and nobody has
>duplicated any of Tesla's long distance wireless transmission claims.
>Why?  I say it's because of a key element that Tesla patented separately
>but carefully avoided discussing.
[snip]
I think the reason that no one else has succeeded is because they didn't
approach it on a grand enough scale. It takes a lot of power to resonate the
whole planet. A half-hearted attempt will just result in the signal being
absorbed. That's why Tesla's towers were so big. IOW though a fairly good
medium, the planet isn't perfect, and until enough power is put in to overcome
the losses, any potential resonance will be damped out of existence.

Besides, there is another (speculative) aspect to this. When resonating the
planet, the magnetic field part of the resonance may interact with the natural
magnetic field of the Earth itself, and through that with the Van Allen belts,
thereby allowing the energy of the Solar wind to be tapped.

Another source of energy potentially coupled to the Earth's magnetic field is
the geothermal energy in the Earth's core. The Earth's field might be used to
"magnetically cool" the core of the planet, with the energy being dumped into an
electrical load as the "cold side". 2LOT isn't violated because the core of the
Earth is much hotter than the load (i.e. the surface).

Either (both) of the above may explain why he is purported to have gotten more
out than he put in.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.