Hi,
[snip]
>Whatever the shape of the wire a DC current can't emit radio waves AFAIK. The
>witricity experimental device uses AC at MHz frequencies (cf the link I
>provided, here it is again
>http://www.mit.edu/~soljacic/MIT_WiTricity_Press_Release.pdf )
>
>Michel
I see no reason why a MHz device wouldn't also emit common radio waves since the
transmitting coil can be seen as a multi-coil hoop antenna. Unfortunately I
don't know the formulae governing the efficiency of such antennae, however my
guess is that one could design the coil such as to make it as inefficient as
possible as a normal antenna (e.g. choose the wavelength to be a bad match for
the actual size of the antenna - a transcendental number comes to mind e.g. Pi
thus also eliminating transmission at harmonic frequencies).
However I also think that the impedance of the transmitter will be much lower
when a tuned receiver is present than when it isn't. Another means of keeping
the normal radio transmission losses to a minimum is to lower the frequency.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.