Since Swartz has once again brought up his obsession about censorship at LENR, this gives me an opportunity to clarify the criteria used to put papers on the LENR website. For the sake of this discussion, the website has two parts: a listing of over 3000 papers having some relevance to cold fusion and a collection of papers that can be read in full text. Papers are added to the listing if they have been published in some form that gives access to the general public. Readers are encouraged to suggest papers that might have been missed without an accusation of censorship. Thirty papers by Swartz are listed in the collection and are available from the author upon request.

Full text papers are accepted provided three conditions have been met.

1. The paper is available in suitable electronic or physical form.
2. Permission by the author and/or the copyright holder has been obtained.
3. The paper meets a minimum level of professional competence.

These are criteria used by all publications and journals, and are not considered censorship.

The main issue in Swartz's complaint appears to involve Item #3. A significant number of papers in the cold fusion field are poorly written or do not advance an understanding of the subject. Occasionally, with the author's permission, Jed has attempted to make a paper more understandable. If an author can not or will not improve a paper and/or it is deemed to be unprofessional, it will not be put on the website in full text, even though it will be listed and would be available from the author upon request. Jed's use of the political argument for this approach is only a part of the issue. Like any source of information, the LENR website tries to maintain a standard of credibility and competence that reflects well on the field. As he argues, what we all publish and how we all describe the subject influence how well the subject itself is accepted. If Swartz believes a good paper has been overlooked, he is free, as are all users of the website, to bring this omission to Jed's attention without accusation. Occasionally, a good paper can not be provided in full text because the author will not give permission. Occasionally, the copyright holder will not give permission. And, occasionally we do not think the paper is suitable. This is not censorship, but instead two people trying to do the best they can to advance the field.

Ed

Dr. Mitchell Swartz wrote:

Swartz has repeatedly accursed me of censoring his work. This is simply not true. In fact, several weeks ago, Mitchell called me and during this conversation I assured him that if he sent me his papers in a useable format, I would see that they were placed on the website. In addition, Jed and I both have made this promise several times in the past. Nevertheless, as yet, I have not received the papers even though various people on Vortex have also suggested Swartz provide the papers. I can only conclude that Swartz gets some satisfaction by accusing Jed and I of censorship and does not wish to end this false accusation. Hopefully, this subject will not waste any more time.

Dear Edmund,

  There are many untruths in your above statements (vide infra).
Censorship at the misnamed LENR site is longstanding, and no-one
gets any satisfaction as the two of you impair the community.
  Science is based upon truth and full reporting, Ed.

1) For example, even tonight, I observed that the papers of Dr. Ken Shoulders
still are censored.  What a shame.  His work is incredibly important.

  Proof:
"Sankaranarayanan
Savvatimova
Scaramuzzi
Schreiber
Schwinger
Shamoo
Shanahan
Shrikhande
Shyam
Spallone
Srinivasan
Storms
Stringham
Szpak"
2)  Rothwell has already admitted censorship.
At 10:45 AM 8/23/2004, Jed Rothwell wrote to vortex admitting to censoring, but then purported it was for "political reasons", such as not to upset some of his "critics" (ROTFLOL)
so he will not get hit with by "a baseball bat (given) to Robert Park".

Rothwell: "I will not hand a baseball bat to Robert Park and ask him to
please hit me over the head with it! It is a shame that CF is so political, but it is, and we must pay attention to politics, image and public relations."

3) This is quite consistent when compared to the definition, after Webster:
"censor - to subject to censorship;
an official who reads communications and deletes forbidden material."

4) Hence, Dr. Mallove, Mr. Webster, and the other were all correct.

========== from the late beloved Dr. Eugene Mallove=============
==== Subject: "Storms/Rothwell censorship" =============