At 07:12 PM 8/30/2007, Hoyt A. Stearns Jr. wrote:
Try this:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Wind:Ladder_Mills

This is interesting, but the discussion of a 10 megawatt Laddermill seems unrealistic. 10 MW is roughly twice the power of the largest railway locomotive. I doubt any conventional cable can support that much strain and still be light enough to reach high into the sky. I suppose this calls for carbon filament cables like the ones they want to use for the space elevator.

The cables used to hold up large suspension bridges can easily support a load of 10 MW. I recall reading that some of them could hold back something like 100 railway locomotives.