See:

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/

This is the web site of Bob Altemayer of U. Manitoba, a social scientist.

This web site and book was recommended by Pres. Nixon's White House Council John Dean, during a lecture on UCTV. I highly recommend it. It describes the mindset (or psychology) of the authoritarian person, who can be either a leader or follower.

This book may seem biased against right-wing extremist authoritarians, but I do not think it is. It describes mainly right-winger authoritarians because that is the type we are familiar with in the U.S. and Canada. But authoritarians can also be extreme left-wing people such as Fidel Castro, or Stalin. We don't happen have many like that in the U.S. or Canada, so most of the examples in the book are right-wingers.

(I digress, but in a sense the Stalinists were conservatives. My father, who was posted to Russia during WWII, said that the Stalinist officials he met with the most reactionary, conservative people he ever encountered. The thing is, they were trying to conserve Marxist Leninism, whereas our conservatives are trying to preserve pure laissez-faire capitalism.)

Anyway, let me explain what this has to do with cold fusion. The other day I was speculating about why mainstream science has become so conservative over the past half-century. I think it is mainly the structural reasons described by Hagelstein and others, such as excessive centralized funding and the overdependence on peer review. But another reason is that large branches of science have been captured by empire building people who tend to be authoritarian. As this book shows, authoritarianism is usually the enemy of the open-minded, objective scientific attitude. It includes many good examples.

Authoritarians also tend toward "pseudoskepticism" (Marcello Truzzi's term, I think) or pathological skepticism. In his book, Storms accuses opponents of cold fusion of being pathological skeptics (p. 49). We have often discussed these people. I consider the people at CSICOP to be pseudoskeptics, and the Society for Scientific Exploration to be the antidote, and true skeptics.

Let me work through one example of this

Authoritarians abound at Wikipedia, and they are the ones who torpedoed the cold fusion article. One of their characteristics, described in this book is "conventionalism" ("believing that everybody should have to follow the norms and customs that your authorities have decreed) and the notion that they speak for the majority -- even when they do not, or when the definition of "majority" is so vague it becomes meaningless, which is the case in cold fusion. As I have often pointed out in arguments with skeptics, you can define "majority" different ways:

1. The majority in the entire human population -- the set of 6 billion people. Most people in this group have never heard of cold fusion.

2. The majority of professional engineers and scientists. Probably, most people in this group have read a little about cold fusion in the popular press and they assume it does not exist.

3. The majority of professional electrochemists, materials scientists and others who have some relevant knowledge. It is very difficult to say what this group thinks of cold fusion. Just about every electrochemist knows Fleischmann and Bockris, and I doubt they would categorically assert these two must be wrong.

4. The majority of people who have some relevant knowledge and who have read five or more papers about cold fusion. I would bet that 90% of these people are convinced that cold fusion is real. I know only one person in this category who denies that cold fusion is real: Dieter Britz, and I think his reasoning is far, far off the rails.

5. The majority of mainstream, established, professional scientists who have performed experiments in cold fusion and published papers. In most scientific disciplines, this is the only group that has any say in the matter. Nearly everyone in this group is certain that cold fusion is real. There are roughly ~2,000 people in this category (out of the 4,706 authors listed in the LENR-CANR.org database). In normal circumstances, no one in his right mind would question the judgement of such a large group of professionals.

What is interesting is that normally an authoritarian would be the first to define the relevant group as number five, and to accept their conclusion simply because they are mainstream professionals. In other words, authoritarians tend to make an Appeal to Authority logical fallacy. But, in this case, they reject group #5 in favor of the opinions of people who have no knowledge whatever, such as the editors of the Scientific American.

As I have noted here before, an Appeal to Authority does NOT mean citing a relevant, competent authority. That is not a fallacy, although many people believe it is. See:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html

Citing McKubre is not an fallacy, because Mike is a bona fide authority. Citing the editor of Sci. Am. is a fallacy, because the man told me he has not read anything about cold fusion, and all of his assertions about the subject are demonstrably ignorant and wrong. This is one of the errors that pseudo-skeptics at Wikipedia have made repeatedly. They themselves constantly make Appeal to Authority fallacies, but when I cite a real authority, they turn around and accuse me of making an Appeal to Authority fallacy. They are not strong on logic -- to say the least. Also, none of them has ever acknowledged this mistake, or any mistake for that matter, which is also characteristic of the authoritarian personality.