Hi,
[snip]
>Robin sez:

>> I think that there is little point in being in space just for it's own sake.
>> The
>> only real reason to go into space is to go to other planets. If one doesn't
>> have
>> the technology to do that, then there isn't much point.

>I've run across this opinion many times in my life. When I was a tad
>younger the opinion used to incense me to no end.
[snip]
I think we have different definitions of space. You mean everything outside the
Earth. I mean literally the space between things. IMO there is plenty of reason
to got out into your space - those reasons are called stars and planets. That's
also where I would like to go (curiosity).

What I meant was that if you really look at your own motivations, I think that's
also the only reason you would want to go. Ask your self this question:

"If space were totally devoid of anything else other than the Earth and the Sun,
would I still want to go?"

Well maybe some would, to get a better look at the Sun, but I doubt many would
want to live there.

IOW I see living in space itself (rather than on a planet or moon) more as a
possible necessity than as something desirable...and I think that necessity will
eventually be avoidable, though perhaps not in the near future. It depends on
just how fast those black ops UFOs are. :)
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.