On Thursday 13 March 2008 18:13, Lawrence de Bivort wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> What I am thinking of are free-floating self-contained micro-gravity
> permanent space colonies for quite small numbers of people -- ten-to
> hundreds of thousands of people. These colonies could be produced in space
> on a modular basis, and, in the end, inexpensively. Once people started
> being born there, they would not be going 'back' to earth or any other
> high-gravity environment for physiological reasons. These colonies would not
> need contact with other colonies, though they might wish to have such. New
> materials would be mined from small asteroids.
>
> Proximity to first the Sun and perhaps down the road to other stars would
> provide energy: the more energy you want, the closer you park to the sun.
>
> Why might one wish to live in such a colony?
>
> First, the environment. I do not see this in any way as a way of reducing
> earth (over)population. The numbers and cost of lifting people make that
> virtually impossible. But it is entirely conceivable that conditions on
> earth may be become sufficiently unpleasant that, like other emigrants here
> on earth, escape may be desirable, and, for a small portion of the
> population, quite feasible. It may be that the environment provided by a
> space colony, well designed and provisioned, will be superior to that
> available to most people on earth.
>
> Second, science. There will always be people who want to try new things and
> new environments, much like the early air pilots, SCUBA divers or
> hang-gliders.
>
> Third, aesthetics. One of the things that strike me about people who have
> gone into space is their euphoric aesthetic reaction to the experience.
> There may be an aesthetic to it that attracts a lot of people, much like the
> US southwest has attracted painters and poets, photographers and writers
> over the last hundred years.
>
> Fourth, business. It may be that in mining asteroids, or in micro-gravity
> manufacturing (e.g. electrophoresis), economic business opportunities
> emerge, serving earth or other space colonies.
>
> Fifth, politics. As societal systems grow more complex and powerful on
> earth, human beings are likely to experience a growing sense of constraints,
> invasion of privacy and loss of freedom and options. Forces of control (Big
> Brother) may grow in power, creating resistance, social discord and a sense
> that the social contract is broken. If this occurs it may be a rational
> response to create space colonies that can 'advertise' themselves based upon
> differing political designs, with different configurations of freedom,
> privacy, social accountability, authority and governance, investment
> priorities, social values, etc., so attracting people partial to their
> particular characteristics and desiring to participate in them.
>

> There are design issues that should be addressed: the most important to my
> mind is that of Requisite Variety (as per Ross Ashby's exploration of the
> [...]

Somebody forgot to mention health as a reason for going on such a station.
The only micoorganisms one will have aboard such a craft is what is brought
aboard it.  So no flu season, no colds going around, no STDs if those are
checked out before one boards, etc.  Also, like the original writers said,
there is really no reason why man cannot just 'live in space'.  Artificial
gravity might be a consideration, but a large enough ship complex  and
artificial gravity at some certain acceptable level should suffice.  Breathing
gasses should be recycleable as oxygen is mainly an energy transfer
enabler in the body..you breathe in O2 and put out CO2, a bit down the
energy hill.  Reformers can take the CO2 and give back the O2 and the
carbon black is a byproduct useful for many things.  Carbon nanotubes
for instance for constructing 'space tethers' down asteroidal gravity
wells to facilitate mining operations.

Standing Bear