On Mar 13, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Jones Beene wrote:

Ron

I had a look at the paper. There is not enough detail to make it worth the trouble.

That's for sure!

Like you , I find the amazing thing is that it works at all in the MHz range- even if it is only (today) a very inefficient electrolyzer. This seems to be a case of intense non-ionizing radiation being made ionizing by the surface effects of a polarizing waveguide.

I think the mechanism is a result of the ionization kinetics of fast moving sodium and chlorine, which is pushed about by the comparatively slow RF field. This ion motion might have a resonant characteristic, and might better be produced by quadrupole stimulation. See:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/Ostressing.pdf

for some thoughts related to stimulating circular ion motion, specifically nuclear motion. Ions other than sodium should thus have their own ideal frequencies for dissociating H2O. I suspect the fact the atomic weights of (23) of Na and Cl (35.45) are close but not equal may also be important.

I suspect H2 and HOOH is produced. This is also what happens to ordinary water in a microwave I think, but to a much smaller degree. The flame itself appears to be consuming atmospheric oxygen. If the evolving gas were anywhere near stoichiometric it would explode with a "pop" rather than produce a visible flame that waves around. The flame front is maintained by a significant difference in oxidants within and without. It would be most interesting to see what flame, if any, results if the test tube is enclosed in a helium atmosphere.

I think I read somewhere the process does not work, or work as well, with KCl, but that might be due to a required frequency change. It would of course be of much interest to test various other electrolytes and correlate stimulation frequency to gas production for them.

I would expect the strong drop off in flame support, when the NaCl is less than 1%, may be due to the fact recombination overwhelms the peroxide forming process, probably due to an insufficient H3O+ concentration to support H2 formation. Without a sufficient ionization flux the H3O+ and OH- in the ionization tracks just recombines.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/