-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:12 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com; vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Emergency Electric Curtailment event in Texas / more bull
from Lutz

I believe most large coal and nuclear power plants have 2 to 5
generators, nowhere near as many as a wind farm. Also, all of the
generators share the boiler and other equipment in common. If
something goes wrong with the boiler, or if it has to be taken down
for maintenance, the whole plant goes down.

- Jed

I was heavily involved with power station design from 1970 to 1983 for oil
fired, coal fired and nuclear.  I have never encountered a design where
multiple turbine generators share a common boiler or reactor.  That
configuration must be quite rare.

Each unit in a typical power station shares very little in common beyond the
fuel supply and switch yard, although low pressure aux steam and compressed
air would be distributed station wide.

Any combination of units can be taken down for servicing while the other
units remain fully operational.  This is a crucial design consideration in
any power station.

Jeff

Checked by AVG.
7:17 PM