Hi,
[snip]
>MC: My understanding of the Rowan work was that they had $75,000 for a phase
>1 project and worked their tails off trying to set up the necessary
>experiment, including buying laboratory vacuum gear off of eBay. They were
>looking for critical spectral lines in the glare of the lines from hot
>hydrogen when they ran out of money. They wanted to measure thrust directly,
>but did not have the funds and NASA declined to fund a Phase 2 project. The
>useful force can be small for a deep space probe: what counts is very high
>velocity gas output applied continually over extended periods, as in an ion
>thruster. Standing Bear is rilght, somesthing as energetic as the BLP
>reaction *should* be valuable for a deep space thruster, but that particular
>experiment did not make the grade.
>
>When Mills' work becomes more accepted, perhaps this application can be
>revisited.
>
>Mike Carrell
[snip]
From their report, I got the impression that their results were minimal at best.
This doesn't surprise me, as they used neon as the catalyst. They could hardly
have made a worse choice, and I told them so. In reply they said that they did
this in consultation with BLP. Reading between the lines, I got the impression
that Mills had just discovered that neon could work as a catalyst, and was happy
to have someone else pay the expense of an experiment to see how well it worked.

The ionization energy of Ne+ is 40.962 eV. At the time Mills tried to cobble
together an explanation where this matched the total energy lost by H in
dropping to the H[n=1/2] (which it does - almost), however that contradicts his
own theory where the energy hole has to be a multiple of 27.2 eV.

It makes much more sense that neon only works as a catalyst in a three body
reaction:-

Ne+ + Ne+ + H =====>  Ne++ + Ne++ + H[n=1/4]

(2 * 40.962 = 81.924, which is close to the m=3 catalyst value - 81.6 eV).

However this reaction is a poor choice for several reasons:-

1) The first ionization energy of Ne is 21.5645 eV, which is higher than that of
Hydrogen, so Ne+ is continually being reduced to Ne by the Hydrogen, which makes
Ne+ (the catalyst ion) scarce in the plasma.

2) It's a three body reaction, which means that you need two of those scarce Ne+
ions concurrently to make it work.

3) When you do get two Ne+ ions together with an H atom, one of them is more
likely to steal an electron from the H atom, than the pair is to trigger
shrinkage.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/

Competition (capitalism) provides the motivation,
Cooperation (communism) provides the means.