High gas prices are opening up (so to speak) another
kind of oil & gas extraction technique, called
"fracture drilling," which was alluded to in a recent
thread on the "new" oil discovery in the Dakotas and
Montana (Williston Basin)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/business/08gas.html?em&ex=1207886400&en=3513e391adf7ae70&ei=5087%0A

At one time (before the negative publicity of TMI and
the ranting of Jane Fonda) small nuclear bombs were
considered as the ideal solution for deep shale
extraction, but oil was too cheap then.

In fact, there is evidence that despite all the
nuclear test ban treaties in place, that the Russians
routinely use small nukes to increase hydrocarbon
output from deep shale. What better way to get rid of
their excess inventory of weapons? ;-)

A tamer version of fracture drilling, not involving
nukes, was "invented" by Halliburton (more like the
concept was partly bought and partly stolen). However,
due to the chemicals used, I am not so sure that nukes
aren't preferable in terms of actual toxicity in the
finished product.

It should be possible, even easy, to purposely design
a small (suitcase) nuke that is actually much less
toxic to the *surface* environment, for the same
amount of hydrocarbons which are recovered ... except
for objections of the Sierra Club (and even many green
Vorticians, including moi). It is even possible that
our beloved Petro-Mafia does NOT want this, since the
net effect might serve to bring down per barrel oil
prices (and obscene profits).

It is true that we spent billions to develop the
so-called "neutron bomb" and it is clear that
hydrocarbons do not absorb many neutrons and become
radioactive ... and most of all - in terms of
realistic comparisons - that there is more "natural"
radioactivity in many kinds of oil-bearing shale than
the amount that a small nuke would ever produce,
anyway.

The average concentration of uranium in "Chattanooga
Shale," which covers most of the SouthEastern USA is
.006 percent, or 60 ppm !

That is incredibly high, and is far more, orders of
magnitude more per volume, than the amount which a
small nuke would add to shale which had no natural U.

If a small nuke is used to fracture deep shale,
surrounding rock would be activated but that could be
dealt with adequately with in situ filtration.
However, despite this - there is little realistic way
our government would ever allow it here, and that is
"probably" a good thing, at least for now. Let the
Russians et al. work out all the bugs first.

At some future time, without a breakthrough in LENR or
hydrino-tech, for instance, we may be forced to do it
here. But as always, the optimists on this forum see
better possibilities "on the immediate horizon":
Algoil being one of them.

It should be mentioned that there are a few folks,
formerly associated with the Phillips Petroleum
Company of Oklahoma, who might admit (deathbed
confessional) that the "small-nuke fracturing
technique" has been widely used in the Middle East, S.
Africa, and elsewhere (probably because they sold
licenses and the expertise to do it overseas years
ago, or know that the Russians got there first):

http://tinyurl.com/5sm3eo

Anyway - this could be one reason that Arabia has so
much "recoverable oil" relative to non-recoverable.
One can reasonably suspect that some of the Middle
Eastern oil we import now in the USA was recovered
this way, and that our government knows this, but
perhaps does not want this factoid publicly revealed,
and would likely deny it strongly if asked. Quien
sabe?

Jones