Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

>(By the
>way, decreasing levels of free oxygen have not been examined, and
>recent evidence shows this, too, is a threat.)
[snip]
At 400 quad / year energy use, and assuming that all the energy is derived from carbon combustion (e.g. anthracite), and further assuming that all the energy is . . .

Also consider that people live quite well at considerable elevations, where the
Oxygen levels are considerably reduced.

In short, I suspect we could go on like this for at least 1000 years, without
even noticing any effect on our breathing from Oxygen depletion.

My, my, aren't you anthro-centric! People are not the only species, and breathing is not the only form of respiration. Many other species, and many chemical process, including possibly atmospheric processes, are affected by the slight decrease in oxygen content. There are also problems such as the oxygen exchange with water, and fish, and so on.