Hi,
[snip]
>Forgive my obstinacy Robin, but admitting the proper frame should be the CMF,
>shouldn't this be the CMF of all particles involved, i.e. including those of
>the Pd "anvil"? After all, the target is not really D, but Pd(n)D, isn't it?

This depends on just how "stuck" the D is to the anvil. Initially at large
separation distances that will be true, however as the force of repulsion
created by the approaching D increases it will eventually dislodge the "stuck"
D, after which, it is no longer true. (Assuming the "fast" D had enough kinetic
energy to dislodge the stuck D).

http://www.singtech.com/

>"hand waving" mode: quite appropriate for a wavelength ;) Frame dependence of
>kinetic energy...good point... maybe we must use an inertial frame for COE
>(KE+PE=constant) to be applicable,

No, COE is valid for any frame of reference, as long as you stick to the frame
of reference you have chosen.

>which BTW points again to including the cathode for the center of mass frame,
>the CMF of just the two deuterons is decelerated at impact time isn't it,
>so you can't do proper physics in that frame.

You only need to take "snapshots", and assume that the functions are monotonic.
(not true at the moment of dislodgement).
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.