Hi,
[snip]
>But the moment right before dislodgement, when the deuteron pair experiences
>considerable deceleration, is precisely when we would expect fusion isn't it?
>So I still believe we must use the CMF of the whole system under study.
>Similar to a hammer-nut-anvil system, if we leave the anvil out of the
>equation the nut will never be broken.

Now we are back to "stickiness" again. The energy with which D is lodged in the
"anvil" is going to be a fraction of an eV at best. Unless the approaching D has
much much more than this, there isn't going to be an adequately close approach
anyway. This is akin to conventional fusion, and you need something on the order
of 1000-5000 eV to get results. Compared to this, the fraction of an eV of
"sticking" energy is meaningless. IOW it's more a fog than an anvil.

>I am pretty sure that COE is not valid in an accelerated frame of reference
>BTW, except maybe in special cases. Consider a single particle in uniform
>motion (constant K.E.) in an inertial frame, it will see its speed and
>therefore its K.E. change in an accelerated frame, so COE isn't verified.

My mistake. I should have said all inertial frames, not all frames. (I normally
don't think about accelerated frames - hurts my brain). ;)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.