Harry Veeder wrote:

He is
suggesting the D2 and H2 *might* breakdown into D and H at slightly
different rates and this explains the different temperature readings.

I doubt it, but why would that matter? The outside thermocouple proves there is excess heat. I doubt such an effect could cause a measurable temperature difference.

I don't know if a) they do breakdown at different rates and b) if this
breakdown can account for all the heat generated over the course of the
experiment.

I doubt (a) and (b) is ruled out by the temperature sensor on the outside.