----- Original Message -----
From: "Horace Heffner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Re: Nanosolar's 1 GW/yr solar cell printer

> On Jun 23, 2008, at 1:31 AM, Michel Jullian wrote:

Indeed several working technologies are in competition, which is an excellent
thing for the end user!

>> couldn't utilities give rebates to customers accepting to store
>> energy for them in their sometimes underused car batteries?
>
> Many existing utilities will be slow to adapt smart meters, and many
> already resist having to manage power coming from residences.  Major
> solar power generation utilities, however, if not hindered by
> regulation, are highly motivated for fast growth and innovation.
>

>> As for transmission, what's wrong with current electric power
>> transmission lines?
>>
>> Michel
>
> They don't ship power well across oceans, and don't ship energy in
> stored form, i.e. as hydrogen, nitrogen, or silicon compounds.  The
> biggest cost item may soon be land itself, and 3rd world desert will
> be ideal for power generation. The major problems for global
> renewable energy production are energy storage and shipping, but
> these problems may be solved now the economics are right.
>
> The content of some of my old posts on the subject are here:
>
> http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/BigPicture.pdf
> http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/EnergyCosts.pdf

Doesn't seem to include solar PV (e.g. Nanosolar: $2/W installation cost, > 25
yr lifetime, negligible running costs, right?)

> http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/Hpipeline.pdf
> http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/HotCold.pdf
>
> Similar problems will exist specifically for the USA - because land
> and sun are best in the southern desert areas, but adequate long
> distance transmission facilities, in terms of either price or
> capacity, are not available.

Who needs deserts? Land _outside cities_ is cheap, and insolation acceptable,
in most places, so in most cases it isn't necessary to carry the energy over
long distances. So the existing power grid is already adequate for large scale
deployment of municipal PV plants, which is indeed occurring as we speak,
limited only by panel supply I guess.

Michel