From: Stephen A. Lawrence [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:27 PM
To: Vortex
Subject: [Vo]:Wild card in the Arctic??

Heading off to bed, I took a glance at the headlines -- and noticed
this, just in from Devoir:

"Quatre cent douze milliards de barils de pétrole. Le tiers des réserves
prouvées de la planète. Voilà ce que renfermeraient les profondeurs de
l'Arctique, selon la plus récente évaluation du US Geological Survey."

Translation:  "412 billion barrels of petroleum.  A third of the proven
reserves of the planet.  That's what the depths of the Arctic contain,
according to the most recent evaluation by the U.S. Geological Survey."

I don't have time to look any farther into this just now; I may dig
around in the morning and see who else, if anyone, is reporting on it.
(And I'll read the rest of the article and see if there's a deal killer
in there somewhere, too...)

database 3303 (20080728) __________

http://www.eset.com