Horace Heffner wrote:

On Jul 30, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Thank you, Horace!

Now, I wonder where Devoir got that 412 gBBL number? Sure doesn't seem to be in the report. Seems like they must have conflated the oil and gas numbers using some kind of conversion factor to turn cubic feet of natural gas into barrels of petroleum.

http://tinyurl.com/5qrpta

Well, 1 boe (barrel of oil equivalent) = 5.8x10^6 Btu, and 1 cf of gas is 1000 Btu, so 1 boe roughly equates to 5800 cf of gas. The 1,670 Tcf of gas is thus equivalent to 287 billion barrels of oil. We thus have in billion barrels equivalents:

 90 undiscovered oil
 44 natural gas liquids
287 natural gas equivalent barrels
===
421 total billion barrels equivalent

Strange, the transposition of the last two digits. It's all a very rough guess anyway.

None of this strikes me as terribly relevant to todays problems. Even if it is actually there, an extreme expenditure is required to get to most of this stuff and actually make it deliverable. Most everyone, including congress, seems to be ignoring the fact that fast delivery of oil is only likely to come from ANWR, because the pipelines and other facilities are practically in place already. The already available natural gas in Alaska will likely take 10 years or more to start delivery to the central US by pipeline, mostly due to delays in Canada. It could be delivered as LNG to the west coast much quicker, but there is a problem obtaining sufficient unloading capacity there. I think the better solutions are conservation (now already having a price effect in the form of reduced gasoline consumption), wind, solar, geothermal, nuclear and increased drilling in unused lease areas. The many unused lease areas within the continental US could be opened up to small drilling companies, but that also ignores the problems of equipment shortages, product delivery, and comparatively low expectations of finds.

I think a major problem will be maintaining a commitment to see through the conversion to renewable energy when the price of gasoline falls back to lower levels. The best way to maintain the commitment is to apply a tax to gasoline that supports some minimum price, say $3/gallon, and directly and only applies the tax revenue to renewable energy development and to transportation infrastructure.

  ** YEAH!! **

But all efforts by Congress and the Pres in the past have been directed at reducing the price of gasoline. The notion that the govt might actually work to *raise* the price is utterly alien, sad to say.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/