Jed Rothwell wrote:
> Edmund Storms wrote:
>
>> A point you all seem to miss is that the ICE must be large enough to
>> move the car at normal speeds, including up hills when the batteries
>> are dead, in addition, it needs to have some extra power to charge the
>> battery at that time.
>
> Well, it would not need to recharge while going uphill. You can leave
> the batteries flat for a while.
>
> In the Volt, I believe electric motor drives the wheels at all times,
> and the ICE connects only to the batteries.

Exactly.  I have never seen this mentioned, but in principle the design
could be described as very "de-coupled", or "modular".

A Prius is like a rabbit -- those long ears are the temperature control
system as well as a major hearing assist.  You can't change one without
affecting the other (not a good design, by human standards -- it makes
it too hard to maintain).  Similarly, in the Prius, the electric motor
is also the generator which is used to recharge the batteries, the
transmission does double duty as the pass-through coupling when it's in
motor/generator mode, and the whole powertrain is a monolithic nightmare
-- or so it appears looking in from the outside.  Could Toyota "easily"
bring out a diesel Prius?  I have no idea, but it's certainly not a "given".

Conversely, in the Volt the ICE *just* drives a shaft which turns a
generator.  It should be easy to replace the ICE with just about any
other engine, of any sort, which fits the form factor.  You'd also need
to change the gas tank if you went with something *totally* different
but you still wouldn't need to touch the rest of the car.

The generator is *just* a generator, and just charges the batteries.
You could replace it with a different model without affecting the rest
of the power train.

The electric motor is *just* an electric motor.  You could put in a
bigger one or a smaller one or a totally different design (within the
constraints of the motor control system) without affecting the charging
system (er, except for the regen braking system ... but that could be
dropped on the floor, at the penalty of ~ 10% or 20% battery-only range
loss, and everything else would still be fine).

Similarly, the batteries and charging system are designed to operate
like a conventional car's batteries and charging system.  There is no
difficulty with "tuning" it to make better use of a wall-plug -- it's
already set up that way.  When you read how people converting Prius's to
plug-in use sometimes add whole parallel battery systems, with the "new"
system being charged from the wall while the "old" system goes on being
kept at full charge by the motor, you realize that there are some
serious issues with the integrated monolithic design of the electrical
and charging systems in the Prius.  Trying to get the onboard charging
system to let the batteries *run down* under certain circumstances is
apparently not trivial -- and if you can't do that, then you get home
with a full charge and there's no point in plugging it in!