Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:18:24 -0800
To: "michael.mckubre-sri.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Steven Krivit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Freedom of Information and Open Science

Steve; you are obviously monitoring this thread through a second agent. I would ask both of you to stop. In the event that this does not stop then I ask you both - and ALL in this situation - to agree as gentlemen (or gentlewomen) to be bound by the rules of this list. Anyone who reads this material is de facto a member and I, personally, hold you to these rules*. This is not to say that I disagree with what you say or your right to say it. I do not agree with the principle (or value) of making public, material from an intentionally private list.

Mike,

With all due respect to your outstanding and important achievements and contributions to the field, I do not agree with the principle (or value) of intentionally making secret scientific discussions among a non-commercial group of people.

It is true that the CMNS list has a rule about secrecy. However, this rule is unjust and ill-founded. Yours, or anyone's judgment about being a "gentleman" or "gentlewoman" is just that, your judgment.

I am happy that you consider me a member of the list. I cannot, however, abide by nondisclosure, regardless of whether "you personally," or even for that matter, if George Bush *personally* holds me to these rules.

The CMNS list secrecy rule is a constraint on my personal civil liberties as well as an obstruction of free press.

As you can tell, the people (not just one) who are leaking list messages to me, do not believe that it is in the best interests of this scientific society to be secretive. I, and perhaps they too, do not believe it is in the best interests for people who are providing information to this community via the CMNS list be shielded from the media spotlight.

Free speech and the freedom of the press are fundamental values in a democratic society. Even people in the U.S. government are subject to the Freedom of Information Act. I can imagine that people who wish to control the press might wish to control the press's access to information. You are treading on sacred ground my friend.

God bless America!

Steve