So, if I understand you correctly, privacy has no rights in the US nor on the internet. I'm not talking about secrets. This is a false issue, a straw-man Steve created. I'm talking about being able to discuss science without having to worry about whether parts of the discussion will be extracted and used to make public pronouncements that are not correct and not intended.

I agree, journalists are valuable when they reveal information that is important for the public to know. Discussions on CMNS are not that important. What is important is an expectation of not having to worry about statements taken out of context or used for other purposes. Steve wants the right to publish excerpts from these discussions. Normally, a good journalist will honor a request that information not be published or at least clarify what is to be published to be sure it is complete and correct. I did not get the impression from Steve he is willing to do this.

The issue is with Steve, not with people sending Steve copies of the discussions. Steve would be welcome to join the list if he agreed not to publish the information without permission. Instead, he resigns from the list and then has someone else send the information to him. This contrived arrangement does not change Steve's obligation to honor the rules. In fact, such an arrangement is a more serious breach of trust. Now the action becomes a conspiracy to avoid rules that Steve finds inconvenient.

The basic issue is trust. Do we trust Steve or do we not trust him? If not, as you say, such people are eventually frozen out.

Ed