To: vortex-L@eskimo.com
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:The Off Topic Threads

DonW wrote:

"Several former rivals have pointed to her
uncanny ability to make emotional connections with voters, even when
she can't answer a question."

Both of the above are major *FLAGS* for ADHD. I should know .. I have this condition. . . .

These people can be very chrismatic, are experts at circular logic and usually pathological liars.

When they are unscripted, they have major issues with memory LINKAGE. They have the memories but have delayed access to them, usually minutes - hours - days after needed. This results in a subconscious effort to fill in the memory holes; hence the pathological lies.

Wow. Thanks for discussion what must be a painful thing to deal with.

The process of filling in "memory holes" -- as you call them -- is observed in other conditions, such as long term memory loss. An extreme example was described by Oliver Sacks for a patient with Korsakov's syndrome (amnesic-confabulatory syndrome). It is not lying because the person momentarily believes the statements are true. It is "confabulating." Sacks also describes holes:

[The patient] remembered nothing for more than a few seconds. He was continually disoriented. Abysses of amnesia continually open beneath him, but he would bridge them, nimbly, by fluid confabulations and fictions all kinds. For him they were not fictions, but how he suddenly saw, or interpreted, the world. . . . So far as he was concerned, there was nothing the matter . . .

- "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for Hat," p. 109

Since they believe in what they are saying (at the moment), and the "memory fills" are tailored to the event/person in front of them, they can be chrismatic.

Yes. That's what Sacks and others say.