I wrote:

> As far as I am concerned, they should put automatic sensors in all
> automobiles and charge anyone who goes over the speed limit a hefty fine,
> say $1 per mile per minute; i.e., $15 for travelling at 70 mph in a 55 mph
> zone for 1 minute, automatically subtracted from your credit card 10 minutes
> after the sensor reports the violation.

I should point out that we already have this arrangement in the US, and
people like it. The incentive works the other way around. They do not fine
you for going too fast, but they reward you for staying at the speed limit.
That is to say, several insurance companies offer to install a continuously
recording GPS gadget that keeps track of where you go, how fast you drive,
and the TOD (time of day), and compares that data to the speed limits which
are mapped for most major roads. People who acquiesce to this arrangement
are mainly people who do not intend to drive much anyway, people who seldom
drive at night, and people like me who do not intend to exceed the speed
limit. They get reduced insurance rates. It is an invasion of privacy but as
the Internet has demonstrated, most people do not care much about privacy
anyway.

I myself would not give a fig if some person at the insurance company was
able to track my every automobile trip, if they charged me ~$100 less every
month in return. If someone were to offer me $100 a month to tell them where
I go every day I would be happy to do that, as long as it did not take any
effort on my part.

I suppose it would be nice if you could shut the feature off temporarily.