Virtual... Schmirtual!
The only reason physics uses the term 'virtual' is due to the inadequacies of
the theories
(mathematical equations) to properly model physical reality!  If one looks at
spacetime as being a
seething plenum of random oscillations of some fundamental 'stuff ' at
extremely small dimensions
and extremely high frequencies, then what appear to be physical objects (i.e.,
subatomic particles)
are simply LOCAL coherent oscillations/swirlings of that fundamental stuff.

Just look out over the desert and what do you see?  'Nothing', you say!  Of
course, that's obvious!
So you take another swig of that ice cold brewski, check out the Dime Box Babes
for a few seconds,
and then look up and, Holy Vortex Batman!  That dust devil just appeared out of
nowhere (a local,
coherent swirling of stuff), swirled for a few moments, and then disappeared
back into the
nothingness (randomness) from whence it cameā€¦ so too it goes with 'virtual'
particles/photons/gravitons/yourfavoritetons!  For some reason, these temporary
coherent entities do
not achieve the conditions necessary to become 'stable', and thus, they 'pop
into and out of
existence'.

What are the conditions that result in stable, long-lived (subatomic/atomic)
particles?  Perhaps the
intense conditions inside of a star, or that exised sometime shortly after the
big bang (if that
even really happened).  Are there any good theories that start from this kind
of fundamental view of
spacetime?

With this view, one can also see why probabilities figure so prominently in QM!

-Mark