Jack Smith wrote on 1-3-09:

Even the speed limit of the photon ...  is controversial.

Hi All,

I retract that.  The speed of the photon is not
controversial.

See

http://njsas.org/projects/speed_of_light/em_const/

``Ratio of Electrostatic to Electromagnetic Units

In 1857 Wilhelm Weber and Rudolf Kohlrausch were the first
to show that the ratio of electrostatic to electromagnetic
units produced a speed matching the then known value for
the speed of light. It was already known, from dimensional
arguments, that the ratio was a speed. Weber and Kohlrausch
built what were for the time ingenious devices and their
measurements found a speed close to the then known speed
of light. The race to deduce light propagation from the
laws of electricity and magnetism was on, to culminate in
Maxwell's Electricity and Magnetism treatise in 1873. ''

I meant to say that the speed of the photon does not
set a limit on the speed of other things, for example,
the graviton.

Jack Smith