IIRC the final official story was that there were never six to start
with, somebody just miscounted.

What?  They can't even count to *six*??  Well, it didn't sound quite
that stupid in the original version.  The missiles were in two pods
which could contain three each, but one pod only contained 2; the
original "six" number came from multiplying the pod capacity by the
number of pods (2*3) rather than actually counting missiles (which
weren't there anymore anyway, they were hundreds of miles away by that
time).

Anyhow that's how I understood it.

Still didn't make a whole lot of sense, it's true, but it still made
more sense than the notion that they'd try to stage a strike against
Iran by flying nukes all over the Midwest while totally violating all
the Air Force's own rules about nuke handling.  Surely they could have
handled the whole thing with material that was already off-shore.  I
mean, what ever happened to Diego Garcia and places like that?