Jones Beene wrote:

> Stephen
>

>> IIRC the final official story was that there were never six to
>> start with, somebody just miscounted....  What?  They can't even
>> count to *six*??  Well, it didn't sound quite that stupid in the
>> original version.  The missiles were in two pods which could
>> contain three each, but one pod only contained 2; the  original
>> "six" number came from multiplying the pod capacity by the number
>> of pods (2*3) rather than actually counting missiles
>

> Well - here is what a pod looks like:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/AGM-129_on_a_B-52.JPG
>

> ... does anyone really think that any fool in the known universe
> could make that kind of counting error?

I dunno.  After all, they were supposed to move zero pods, and they
moved two instead, which is a kind of serious mis-count, even larger in
magnitude than mistaking 5 for 6.

IIRC, after the Oklahoma City bombing, news services reported that two
(unexploded) explosive devices were removed from what was left of the
building; later they said that was a miscount, the correct number was
zero, not two.

So if we can believe the news stories, it would seem that people make
this kind of counting error all the time.