Pam Boss wrote to me the other day: "It is just awful what has happened to
the cold fusion wiki article. All my pretty pictures are gone. Given the
effort the skeptics are putting into the whole thing, they must feel
threatened."

I told her I think Wikipedia has become a sort of cult. It is isolated. They
don't allow other points of view. Anonymity and isolation gives rise to a
"Lord of the Flies" effect -- people without adult supervision going to
extremes.

You see this sort of isolation and turning away from reality at large,
powerful corporations that are in trouble, and at high levels of government.
Here is an example from an article about the Bush administration:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/14/AR2009011402791.html

This reminds me of the atmosphere at Wikipedia, in which anything goes and
no authority steps in to enforce rules:

"In the fall of 2002, Bush witnessed a startling face-off between National
Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld
in the White House Situation Room after Rumsfeld had briefed the National
Security Council on the Iraq war plan. Rice wanted to hold on to a copy of
the Pentagon briefing slides, code-named Polo Step. "You won't be needing
that," Rumsfeld said, reaching across the table and snatching the Top Secret
packet away from Rice -- in front of the president. "I'll let you two work
it out," Bush said, then turned and walked out. Rice had to send an aide to
the Pentagon to get a bootlegged copy from the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Bush should never have put up with Rumsfeld's power play. Instead of a team
of rivals, Bush wound up with a team of back-stabbers with long-running,
poisonous disagreements about foreign policy fundamentals. . . ."