A very good question Robin, I too would very much like to know the answer!

The resource below doesn't really provide one, but it does quantify
the (preposterously high, in their opinion) spin rate which would be
required if the intrinsic magnetic moment was due to an actual
spinning little sphere of charge:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/spin.html#c4

<<The term "electron spin" is not to be taken literally in the
classical sense as a description of the origin of the magnetic moment
described above. To be sure, a spinning sphere of charge can produce a
magnetic moment, but the magnitude of the magnetic moment obtained
above cannot be reasonably modeled by considering the electron as a
spinning sphere. High energy scattering from electrons shows no "size"
of the electron down to a resolution of about 10^-3 fermis, and at
that size a preposterously high spin rate of some 10^32 radian/s would
be required to match the observed angular momentum.>>

Why they think it would be preposterous I have no idea, it doesn't
look more preposterous to me than electrons going back in time or
photons going faster or slower than the speed of light, which have
been considered perfectly normal things for many decades.

Cheers,
Michel