Ultraconducting Magnetic
Energy Storage (UMES)

Once Ultraconductors™
can be made into wires, and assuming they sustain as expected, maintaining
persistent currents, UMES are likely to perform at least as well as
Superconducting
Magnetic Energy Storage (SMES) only without the need for expensive and complex
cryogenic cooling.

Some
years ago, Magnetic Power, Inc. cooperated with a scientist at the Los Alamos
National Laboratory who invented a technique of fabricating SMES perhaps eight
feet in diameter. These could be produced in a factory and easily transported
to their ultimate location. Several could be stacked and linked together by
utilities to provide whatever amount of energy storage was needed. This would
allow base load power plants to run at constant speed all day and night with
great economic and fuel saving advantages.

UMES
can be made small enough to use in vehicles. Tiny UMES could store energy for
chips.
Mark