On Mar 23, 2009, at 1:05 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

I think the electron doesn't spiral into the nucleus because it doesn't have enough angular momentum to create a photon, hence it can't radiate, which means
it can't lose energy.

This argument must not be true. There is a finite probability of finding the electron near or within the nucleus. If viewed as a point particle and not a wave function, the acceleration can thus become arbitrarily high, as can the kinetic energy and angular momentum, thus guaranteeing Larmor radiation. In fact, some molecular orbitals exist in a figure 8 configuration, where the center of the 8 is the nucleus, thus guaranteeing constant nuclear traverses. I think ordinary Newtonian point particle models just can't explain the lack of radiation.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/