On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, John Berry wrote:

> Great sounding solution, yeah I don't read most either.

The only problems I see would be similar to vortexB: subscribing and
unsubscribing from two or three instead of one, getting bumped off by
software without noticing it, leakage caused by replying to two lists
because of wrong stuff in FROM or CC line.

> Hell, is it just me or are people less likely to respond to a personal email
> these days? I have both sent them off with no reply and been guilty of not
> replying in a timely manner and possibly forgetting to do so myself a few
> times.
>
> There are also no doubt going to be personal emails I never see for one
> reason or another.
>
> This seems very useful.
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM, William Beaty <bi...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> > > What lists?
> >
> > Tap-L, Phys-L physics lists.  He only attracted a few takers.  He's
> > sending out fresh CR39 and Oriani's nickel wire.

> > > Yes, I saw it. If I were to work in the electrolysis regime, I would
> >
> > So maybe the lack of Vortex response to that message *isn't* caused by
> > thread overload.  I know it would have been in my own case.  If someone
> > here does some interesting work in their own lab, I'll often miss it,
> > since I don't read all threads.  Having each of us trying to add a prefix
> > might work for awhile, but I know it's something I'd eventually forget,
> > then stop using it.
> >
> > Needs a software solution.  Instead of prefixes:
> >
> >   - Vortex for normal stuff
> >   - Bortex for extreme OT, no rules
> >   - Cortex for actual testing being done in real time by vortex people
> >   - Dortex  hmmm.  only for antigravs based on 3rd time deriv of velocity!
> >
> > Aha! Vortex/Cortex messages could dump into the same archive, but with
> > automatically added prefix.  Subscribe to both, send both to your usual
> > vortex email folder.  Then it's still the same forum, but with an
> > automated mechanism to control the subject prefixes.  To get that prefix,
> > just reply to one of those messages, or post to the other vortex addr.
> > But with a difference: people could sort messages by prefix or by FROM
> > addr.  Or just ignore it and read everything.  Or simply subscribe to just
> > one section, and never see any of the others unless you looked at the
> > archive.

> > > Personally, I'd prefer to skip a hundred threads a day than live with
> > > extensive moderation and death of the group.
> >
> > This vortex doesn't change.  And not moderation, any more than "vortexC is
> > for torsion" needs moderation.
> >

> > > Notes on one of my variations on the SPAWAR approach, which amounts
> > > to co-deposition on the sides of holes in a thin metal cathode.
> >
> > Thanks!   Will peruse.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci