After re-reading I still fail to understand your contact point thought, but
is it merely to produce a magnetic field in the shaft?
If we used a magnetized shaft, north at one end south at the other would
this still be required to create the effect?

Is the force you are envisioning one that puts a torque on the individual
ball bearings?

Ah, maybe that's what you mean?