On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Michael Foster wrote:

> I'm afraid I haven't been following the discussion of Kowalski's work
> and don't know why he needs the 6u material or if it has to be
> polyester.

I'm a latecomer too.  Here's the later incarnation of Oriani/SPAWAR lenr
experiment:
  http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/368project.html
  http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/368TGP_oriani.pdf

The goal is to make a "science fair" CF experiment which always works.
He's etching CR-39 dosimeter plastic after placing it against a wire
cathode in a simple electrolysis cell.  But the hot alkaline electrolyte
trapped in the cathode boundary layer attacks the dosimeter surface, so
another layer needs to be interposed, but must be thin enough to not
significantly block all the slow alphas/neutrons/weirdness.  Oriani used
6u PC film, so that's what we're looking for.  Thinner film might not
survive the alkaline liquid. Only about a square inch is needed for each
run.

Ludwik just tried the 13u Kapton, and found that the film adjacent to
the cathode wire is eaten away during the 4-day run.  The 6u Mylar did
this too, but the hole was smaller.

Also see:
  http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KrivitSextraordin.pdf
  http://www.earthtech.org/experiments/PACA/report2.htm

> I thought it was pretty funny about the measurement bias. When you have
> been working with these films as long as I have, you can just sort of
> rub the stuff between your fingers and identify the thickness. Virtually
> all of my employees can do this, so it isn't a unique talent. Not very
> scientific, but apparently more accurate than an ordinary micrometer
> with an unpracticed operator.

Or shake it and listen to the peak frequency of the pink noise?  ;)

Also, our Kapton tape displays that same "impossible" effect discussed
years ago: the whole spool shows a positive charge, and Kapton pulled off
the spool is strongly positive (even if I pull off a couple of meters, so
it's not just the outer layer getting charged through hand contact.)

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci