The caliper listed at Harbor Freight is a very good deal indeed. But neither it
nor a micrometer are usually used to measure film thickness on account of the
problems you encountered. There is a device called a thickness gauge used for
the purpose of measuring plastic films or thin gauge metal sheet..  It is a
dial type device, spring loaded with the film placed between a flat anvil and a
ball tip. You slide the film between the anvil and the ball.. The thickness is
read on the dial.  Digital readout versions are available, but I've never had
any trouble with the one I use, nearly 100 years old. There are also ultrasonic
thickness gauges. The mechanical ones are usually used now for measuring paint
or coating thickness.