On Jul 26, 2009, at 3:22 AM, frank wrote:

Actually after rethinking the issue and getting some sleep, your stationary cavity makes sense now -your thrust is exerted against the "high pressure"
gas supply you mentioned - much easier than moving the cavity.

The high pressure of the gas merely increases the flow velocity and mass flow. The net force is the *difference* in pressure between the top wall of the top cavity and the bottom wall of the bottom cavity. There is no thrust exerted against the high pressure gas supply. If the gas flow were a superflow then there would be no energy required to run the drive at all. There is no equivalent Lenz' Law applicable to the energy that drives the gas through the device here. There is no drag or pressure drop in the gas flow resulting from the net force applied. The net force results from the change in inertial mass that is theorized, in the references I gave, for atoms in the cavity, which results in differing centrifugal forces on that mass which is flowing on average in a curve from the time into the cavity until the time out. The mass flow does the same thing in the second larger cavity, so the centrifugal force, without a cavity induced mass change, is exactly that same in magnitude there as in the cavity above, but downward instead of upward in the figure.

I don't know the source of your misunderstanding of the principles in this article:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/ZPE-CasimirThrust.pdf

Maybe if I rephrase the principles or clarify the computations.

I proposed extracting momentum from the energy and inertial mass change, the dp/dt change, instead of the energy difference, as did Haisch and Moddel. Both concepts have the difficulty that the energy and inertial mass change is not experimentally verified, and thus not quantifiable for engineering purposes. By converting mass changes in cavity traverses to momentum gain, however, as I propose, energy is ultimately made available by converting the dp/dt change thrust into device momentum, especially for space propulsion. Also, if sufficient momentum is gained with respect to drive energy input, then such a thruster drive can be mounted on a large armature of an electric generator in order to produce electrical energy directly.

Here is the description of the device principles: "On each transition from thick cavity to thin cavity, the gas flow transfers momentum to the walls due to the angular acceleration. The gas "snakes" through the thrust cells. The momentum transferred in the thin cavities is upward in Fig. 1. The momentum transferred in the thick cavities is downward in Fig. 1. Since the same gas flows through all cavities in a row, the mass flow for the cells is identical. If there is no change of inertial mass in the thin cavities, then no net thrust results. However, if the inertial mass of the gas molecules/atoms is less in the thin cavities, then less momentum is transferred toward the top of Fig. 1 by the gas when in the thin cavities, and a net thrust develops downward in Fig. 1."

I corrected some typos in the calculation and clarified the narrative: "If we use r=10^-5 m, and v= 10^-4 m/s, we get a centrifugal force F = m*(V^2)/r of about 10 N/kg. The gas flows through an orifice 10^-6m x 10^-5 m, or 10^-11 m^2. Argon is 1.784 g/ l. At 10^-4 m/s the flow rate is 10^-14 g/s = 10^-17 kg/s. With an effective r of 10^-5 m, the mass of gas accelerating is the volume 10^-11 m^2 x 10^-5 m = 10^-16 m^3 times the density, or (10^-16 m^3) (1.78x10^3 kg/(1000 cm^3)) (10^2 cm)^3/m^3 = 1.78x10^-10 kg. This gives a very rough thrust per cell of about (10 N/kg)(1.78x10^-10 kg)/ 2 = about 10^-9 N = 1x10^-10 kgf. Given 10^14 cells/m^3, we have (1x10^-10 kgf)(10^14 cells/m^3) = 10^4 kg of thrust per cubic meter of cells. However, if the inertial mass reduction is only 0.01 percent, then the thrust is only 1 kg per cubic meter of cells."

For convenience here is Fig. 1.

| ------------------------------ ... Repeated ->
       |        /                              \
       |       /         Thin Cavity            \
       |      /                                  \
       |     /            -->        -->          \
       |    |                                  |   |
       |    |      -->                         v   |             Thrust
       |    |               -->           \        |               |
       ------    ^                         \       ------          |
                /         ------------      v                      v
     Gas -->   /      ^   |          |          -->
                      |   |  Cross-  |
                          |  Cavity  |
         Thick Cavity     |  Flow    |  Thick Cavity
                          |  Barrier |
                          |          |       -->
     Gas -->              |          |               -->
                          |          |

| Repeated -->

                  Entire Thrust Cell Layer Repeated

                                v           Thrust cell layers can be
                                            stacked into 3D arrays.

       Fig. 1 - Cross Section Diagram of ZPE Thrust Cell Array

With sufficiently advanced nano-technology, the drive cells could each consist of a cavity with a thin disk that rotates half in the cavity and half out. The half of the disk inside the cavity would experience inertial mass reduction, and thus a reduction in centrifugal force. The actual mass changes occur at the entry and exits from the cavity, and thus have no instantaneous effect on the vertical centrifugal forces at that time. Any energy required or obtained entering the cavity due to Casimir forces is offset by the effect of opposite forces upon exiting the cavity.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/