On Aug 2, 2009, at 7:02 AM, Jones Beene wrote:

Horace,

This is very provocative. Perhaps a simple static (pressure differential)
experiment could be 'telling' without going all the way to dynamic
circuit... IOW is "flow through" really necessary, given that Raney nickel could provide the necessary cavities, in a static colloid, so that normal
convection would suffice?

I actually gave this some thought, though as applied to gas mode, before coming up with the boiling of atoms or molecules that have no possibility of hydrogen, ionic, or covalent bonding, i.e. for which a large portion of their bonding energy is the Casimir force. My initial vision was gas molecules at the low end of the Boltzmann tail coming together, gaining thermal energy from the attraction (this is classical Puthoff etc., and evokes the long standing riddle of how to separate the attracted entities) and then quickly flowing through a Casimir cavity to break the Casimir bond so that recycling could occur. I saw the process as occurring very fast, as via a flow through a series Casimir thin passageway baffles, or even through a device as envisioned for extracting momentum from the Casimir force described here, and diagrammed in Fig. 1 here:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/ZPE-CasimirThrust.pdf

This might work in a "flow-by" basis using Raney nickel, carbon nanotubes, grooved metal surfaces, or any number of catalysts contained in a series of baffle like filters though which the candidate gas might flow.

Part of the problem with this concept was obtaining a fast recycling rate, providing adequate time for the condensation, and yet avoiding complete condensation. It still may be gas mode is the way to go, but it looks too complex to check out economically.

It finally dawned on me - why not just let things condense. You still get to extract the energy when you let it condense. The Casimir force for these molecules *is* the force that primarily causes the condensation. The enthalpy of vaporization then provides an upper bound on the energy to be derived from each cycle, and a convenient means to compute feasibility. In this context then the Casimir energy is essentially obtained by reducing the boiling point. And there you have it: a "Casimir Boiler" concept for solving the old riddle of how to get the Casimir bound entities apart.

Another option that comes to mind is that the boiling point at ~170 F is only a few degree from that of ethanol. Some kind of fugacity experiment is possible, but I haven't got a handle on it yet. The vapor pressure could be
amplified by a mix of the two.

Ethanol, or any hydrogen containing compound must be kept isolated from a Casimir device of this kind. Obtaining self operation depends heavily on the proportion of energy of the bond that comes from the Casimir force (or van der Waals force if you prefer.) selection of the best candidate for practical application depends heavily on this. I don't discount candidates like CF4, NF3, or UF6 for actual practical devices. I merely identified CCl4 as a possible practical chemical for inexpensive checking of principle. It is entirely possible that a machine operating within a cryrogenic envelope can be developed to produce electrical energy using these principles.

It could be that, via heat exchanger, boiling a chemical with a boiling point near that of the gas chosen for its Casimir properties would be of great use. A boiling cycle may extract energy much more efficiently than using a Sterling engine, especially under very controlled circumstances, like use in a power plant.

.... wish Sparber could participate, as this is the kind of thing Fred really enjoyed. He would be sure to bring up his patent for keeping a cow trough
ice-free.

Yes indeed!

BTW - if your concept worked, and a Casimir cavity boiler could produce a usable Carnot spread between a hot and cold side of a constantly vaporizing liquid, near its boiling point; even if the differential was small, then an implementation might be a modified Stirling. It might require using very
large pistons or drumhead resonator - to squeeze much power out. The
efficiency would be very low but who cares? if the energy is free and the thing can be constructed of cheap structural materials like polyethylene and
fiberglass?

Yes, if the primary output is heat then a Sterling concept of some kind might come into play. I imagine a thermodynamicist would have a field day with all this! It's likely practical implementation would happen in an exotic cryogenic environment.

Anyway, let me say up front, having worked with carbon tetrachloride in the past in the plastics industry (no 'Graduate' jokes please) that it is nasty
stuff, made more problematic by what some consider to be a pleasant
ether-like aroma. It is a solvent for many plastics and can serves as a
cheap and clear 'invisible glue' for acrylic.

Yes it is dangerous, especially if there is prolonged exposure. I would expect it to be sealed in a glass system though, with no contaminating gasses, and thus operating at vapor pressure.

That it has substantial volatility at all is somewhat of an amazement in itself - due to the very high molecular mass of ~154 g/mol. It looks like the vapor pressure is ~12 kPa at around room temp, and would be similar to ethanol at lower temps (I think) but should vary more substantially around
the boiling point. Things could be interesting in terms of a hot-cold
dichotomy with the Casimir supplying whatever heat is removed, in the form
of kinetic energy, from an insulated Stirling system.

My understanding is boiling systems can be much more efficient than Sterling systems, which operate only on gas expansion due to temperature change.

Anyway, in side by side experiments, at the same temperature, in which the CCL4 was used with or without a little Raney nickel, as a colloid, I am
wondering - would there be a meaningful pressure differential from the
nickel addition alone?

This would be an interesting test, though it might not produce observable results. In a sealed glass container, containing only CCl4 (say half gas and half liquid) and Raney nickel, continual condensation might occur on the CCl4 gas exposed surface. Calorimetry should show excess heat. I just wonder how much flow would occur into and out of the Casimir cavities by diffusion alone. Construction might consist of sealing one end of a 1/2" diameter glass tube, putting some CCl4 and Raney nickel in the bottom, and, while boiling the CCL4, possibly by vacuum pumping it, sealing the other end of the glass tub by pinching it off with a blow torch. I have the glass tubing, and a vacuum pump, but wonder if CCl4 is now banned for ordinary folks. I don't know where to get Raney nickel offhand either.

To make it more apples-to-apples one could add the same weight of powdered micron-sized nickel to the other side. Would that pressure differential be amplified if there was equal amounts of ethanol in the mix and both samples
were on the same hot plate at about 168 F ?

Hot plates are not a good way to get heat into a liquid, especially if you want to do calorimetry. Immersed resistors are good because they are one of the few things that are 100 percent efficient when it comes to heat transfer devices. Besides, in a sealed container at vapor pressure, a pure liquid automatically *is* at boiling point.

If small Casimir cavities are providing free energy by separating molecules, then those molecules will return that energy immediately upon returning to the liquid. The boil-condense cycle will all happen within a volume of microns. The excess energy, however, will accumulate in the liquid, making it actually boil, causing condensation in the gas phase, and producing excess heat of an amount that hopefully can be measured in a calorimeter. I would think that if continual and visible boiling or condensation were occurring then calorimetry would not be that difficult.

There are probably better ways to approach this, perhaps they will become
clearer after a caffeine infusion <g>

Many things have a way of improving as they brew.  8^)

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/