Hi,
[snip]

A shift of the current south toward Africa would necessarily also mean that the
north east coast of the US would miss out, however that's unlikely to have a
large effect on the passage past Florida. IOW at least some of the energy being
tapped would still be available, and that's where this thread started out.
If I'm not mistaken there is a sort of bottle-neck off the Florida coast that
the current flows through. That is unlikely to change, though it's direction
thereafter could change considerably.