On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:44 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,
[snip]

A shift of the current south toward Africa would necessarily also mean that the north east coast of the US would miss out, however that's unlikely to have a large effect on the passage past Florida. IOW at least some of the energy being tapped would still be available, and that's where this thread started out. If I'm not mistaken there is a sort of bottle-neck off the Florida coast that the current flows through. That is unlikely to change, though it's direction
thereafter could change considerably.

There is debate among experts as to whether the thermohaline circulation can shut down, and whether it can shut down quickly, as it did in the two Dryas periods. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

Some experts think it can shut down fast due to global warming.

In any case as I noted: "There is evidence that a theorized Younger Dryas impact event, 12,900 years ago in North America could have initiated the Younger Dryas cooling and population bottleneck or near extinction of the Clovis people.[13]" Clovis digs and finds extend well into the South of the US, including Georgia and Florida.

If you look at the thermohaline circulation map in the above reference you can see the the driving energy comes principally from the north and south polar regions, and it is one large loop. The energy to drive the half of the loop above the equator would be gone if the north polar region lost all its down flow chimneys. I makes no sense at all that the thermohaline circulation loop will move away from Europe and not the US as well. Also, if the flow merely declines, it will decline everywhere. The flow is a complete circuit.

In any case, I stick by my original statement, which take to be self evident: "It [The Gulf Stream] may also permanently disappear too fast to avoid the loss of power by other means." If we invest billions in offshore turbines and the flow disappears or moves away from the coast, we will be hard pressed to replace the renewable energy source fast enough. If true to form, the experts and politicians will probably waste five or ten years just arguing about what is happening and if it is happening.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/