2009/8/14  <mix...@bigpond.com>:
> Hi,
> [snip]
>>Indeed, whether extra-cost or free like Terry said, this looks as if
>>it could do the trick. They could offer fast charging for a fee, and
>>slower charging for free (slower charging meaning more shopping :)
> [snip]
> If they do, what's the bet that the few parking spots where a charging station
> is available will be occupied by gas powered cars? :)

How about a grid wiring all spots on the parking lot? This way (riding
my soapbox again) the cars with extra energy could sell it back, not
to individual buyers in this variant, but to the parking lot's grid.
Wouldn't this be a nice way to implement the huge local storage
required?

A nice thing about such a scheme is that supply and demand would
always be more or less in the same proportion (I would guess 80%-20%,
as many cars only drive a few miles per day to the supermarket and
back), whatever the proportion of EVs among vehicles (so there would
be no scheme start problem in this variant), and whatever the total
number of cars parked in the parking lot at any given time, except
when it is very low, which could be dealt with by providing a
reasonably modest permanent local storage, or even direct from the
mains grid.

Another nice thing in this improved mutualized peer to peer scheme is
that the buying could be automated too (Harry's question), all would
be needed for that would be a way for the selling and buying cars to
connect automatically to the grid once parked. This might be done
wirelessly, I believe it was you Robin who suggested this in an
earlier discussion about EV recharging, but I am not sure the energy
losses (40%?) would be acceptable, compared with a hard wired
connection which wouldn't be that hard to automate I don't think.

Michel