Stephen sez:

> OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:
>
>> Statistically, in terms of how we understood evolution to work, to have
>> encountered such a large amount of genetic uniformity made no sense to
>> us. We assumed evolution would have naturally engineered more diversity.
>
>  . . .
>
>> ... The atmosphere was
>> subsequently reseeded with a new strain of bacteria, a strain possessing
>> a hauntingly similar singular genetic source.
>
> Entertaining story, but I have a minor nit to pick with the ending.
>
> Bacteria are prokaryotes, while us big folk are all eukaryotes.  That
> difference illustrates the enormous evolutionary gulf between bacteria
> and us.  The point is, one bacterial genome seeded on a planet would be
> totally lost in the evolutionary noise when you fast forward a few
> hundred million years (and several trillion bacterial generations) to
> get to the first intelligent life form.
>
> While the frequent occurrence of DNA based life would be surprising in
> itself, this scenario really wouldn't lead to us seeing remarkably
> similar evolved forms or genomes, and in fact the genomes we'd see in
> other star systems would surely be completely unrecognizable, with no
> apparent similarities to our own.  In short, this scenario would not
> lead to a "large amount of genetic uniformity"; indeed, given the number
> of steps from the first bacterium to, say, an insect, it's not even
> clear it would lead to the same set of codons being used everywhere.
>
> To draw an analogy, it would be like comparing Chinese Han characters
> with Cyrillic.  They're both alphabets, but showing they have a common
> ancestor would be nontrivial, and actually projecting back to that
> common ancestor would be just about impossible.  Their "evolution" has
> apparently not been at all similar, despite having "grown up" just a few
> thousand miles apart.

Everyone's a critic! ;-)

Thanks for your nits, Stephen. Your analysis is of course valid, one
that I will not refute.

I suspect few fables hold together when scrutinized objectively. I
labeled my story a fable in an attempt to circumnavigate around the
specific issues you brought up. Alas, my ploy failed.

It was the emotional impact I wuz going for.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks