From: OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson [mailto:orionwo...@charter.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:12 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Michelson-Morley Interferometer experiment finally done
correctly?

>From Horace

> I think the most likely explanation is that the beam splitter sags
multiple wavelengths
> when the device is at the critical angle shown, i.e. when the beam
splitter is horizontal.
> This explains maximum interference at the 180 degree opposed points, and
no interference
> when the device is on the level.   Tidal effects on g might even be seen,
given the extreme
> sensitivity of the device.

I'm puzzled that more observers haven't asked this very question. It's the
first thing that popped in my head when I viewed this video... but what do I
know! ;-)

> A much more rigid set of optical components and mounts are required.
 Also, as ever,
> replication, replication, replication ....

A suggestion. Place the apparatus on a zero-g jet (the Vomit Comet) and
conduct the experiment in free-fall. Make sure it goes through all the
angles - a full 360 degree sweep. I'll just bet that Horace's suggested
"sagging" effect will become even more pronounced at the appropriate
positions when the jet is climbing (to gain altitude - +2Gs), and then
mysteriously disappears completely when it's in free fall - zero g.

Another suggestion might be to simply place your hand against the beam
splitter components (if such components are accessible to manual touch) and
apply a gentle amount of "manual" force, as if one was attempting to
simulate the effects of gravity. My bet is that the interference waves will
move based on manual intervention.

> That was a great video, a great narrative, and a cool experiment.  It
could turn out to
> be groundbreaking, ... or not.

Yes, it is a well done video, I'll grant that! And who knows, maybe there is
something here... but I remain highly suspicious.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks