On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Chris Zell <chrisrz...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew a thorough answer to the question: How can a
> charged thunderstorm exist? I've asked meterologists this question but no
> one has any answer.
>
> How can a cloud carry any charge at all?  Why doesn't the charge cause the
> cloud to instantly dissipate?  If we can demonstrate electrostatic
> precipitation with a small cloud chamber, how can any thunderstorm exist at
> all?
>
> Another mystery: How can an electron cloud exist in a vacuum tube?  How can
> it hold itself together?
>
> It just seems to me that there are exceptions to the idea that like charges
> always repel - a notion that might guide us to free energy.

Many questions. Why does the atom nucleus stick together. They just invented
a new force to explain that.

In the atmosphere there is an electrical gradient of 90-150 V/m according to
the Feynman lectures on physics. This causes polirization (or could
equivalently be the result of polirization). A factor mentioned for big gas
planets is that the nucleus is stronger attracted by gravity than the
electron. Convection causes lower gas masses to float upwards causing in its
turn a redistribution of charges.

Meteorology is a relatively ontological science, meaning they do not look
that far in the chain of events leading to what they observe, so you
shouldn't have any higher expectations on meteorologists explaining
lightning.

When collections of charged particles move there will be more forces than
just the electrostatic forces.

David