Jed, and others, thanks for your responses.

I wasn't clear. My apologies. This person does not rank his own early
research as being either superior or definitive or adequate. Indeed, he
agreed that his effort had been tentative and sandwiched in among other
research, that it may well have been flawed (and with me he speculated a bit
about what the flaw(s) might have been. But he was influenced by the larger
debacle into concluding that there were more promising non-CF lines of
research to be pursued.

As I said, this is not by any reach an unreasonable person. And, I think, he
is typical of many physicists and chemists when it now comes to thinking
about CF. If you can't win this fellow over, there will be many others who
won't be won over. And this means, generally, that CF will continue to
struggle under and suffer from the weight of skepticism.

CF research is needed, I think, on a much greater scale then it is now being
pursued. It will be difficult to achieve that scale in a timely way so long
as the cloud of skepticism is generally there. I am not talking here of the
die-hard 'professional skeptics', but of the great center of science, people
like to person I have been describing in these last emails. He is, I'll say
again, a good person: accessible, curious (even though he may not he as
curious as you would like him to be, or curious about the things you would
like him to be curious about), very smart, friendly and highly influential.
In other words, he and many others like him, are important to the
resurrection of CF on the scale that I believe would be desirable and is
needed.

So the efforts at ICCF-14 and -15 to summarize and make more definitive the
CF progress to date are right on target, but because they follow traditional
scientific formats and communication paths they are not succeeding in
persuading the kind of people that I am talking about. The passive
expression of data is often not adequate to convince a person to change
his/her mind.

I can understand why this reality is annoying to you and I am sure others.
It SHOULDN'T be that way. People SHOULD be proactive in questioning their
own established beliefs. I agree.

But they are NOT.

So the question presents itself: are the benefits to be gained by enlarging
the CF community to include those who made up their minds early that there
wasn't enough there to continue to pay attention (given all the other
promising lines of research that are available to them) -- are these
benefits sufficient to justify the additional and different effort to reach
them by more directly addressing the patterns of belief that they have?

I'll say again something that we all know but often forget:  Unless we do
something different, we will continue to get what we've got.

Lawrence